Friday, December 1, 2017

EXCLUSIVE! Why was River Phoenix' Final Interview Scrubbed from the Internet???

Fair Use via Wikipedia Commons

I was born just two months before River Phoenix in 1970. So as River Phoenix grew up in front of the camera acting in films, I grew up watching his films.By High School I had a pretty big crush on River like a lot of other American girls.

So I would say from about age 14 in 1984 until age 23 in 1993 - a span of just 9 years - I followed his career very closely and watched most of his interviews on television when I was able to.

Then after seeing Phoenix' second-to-the-last completed film, Sneakers, I became even more interested in watching his interviews about the film because the film took place in Oakland, CA - the area where I grew up - and it was about a group of computer hackers and I just happened to come from a family of computer nerds living adjacent to the Silicon Valley, so I was a huge fan at the time.

Well there is something that has always haunted me and that is one of Phoenix' final interviews which, if I remember correctly, took place sometime during the last couple of years of his life - it probably would have been 1992 or 1993, and it was definitely with David Letterman (who I was also a huge fan of at the time).



Now during that time David Letterman was winding up his first well-known show, NBC's Late Night with David Letterman, which broadcast from 1982 until 1993. Then just two months before Phoenix' death Dave began a new (but nearly identical) show, CBS's Late Show with David Letterman, from August 30, 1993 until May 20, 2015.



Whichever of the two shows it was on, River Phoenix said something shocking to David Letterman. For those who aren't old enough to remember, Phoenix was an early example of an actor-turned-activist. He wrote an article for 17 Magazine on Earth Day in 1990. He was also covered by Vegetarian Times and The Animals' Voice Magazine.


Well during this interview, Phoenix started going on a rant about evil multi-national corporations, particularly, General Electric. Funny enough this memory is still firmly implanted in my mind since this was the first time I remember hearing the bad news about G.E. in my early twenties.

I still have a vivid memory of David Letterman telling River that it's funny he should mention that since General Electric actually owns N.B.C. the station that Phoenix was being interviewed on, and so while I am writing this I just realized that that dates the show sometime prior to Dave's N.B.C. show, which ended in August of 1993, just two months before Phoenix' death on Halloween night in 1993.

Now, I could be wrong, but I always remembered this as being an interview about the film Sneakers which would have put this during the last two years of Phoenix' life but regardless of which film he was being interviewed for, the fact is that I cannot find any trace of River Phoenix ever having appeared on Late Night with David Letterman.

What is also interesting is that I cannot find any real interviews of River Phoenix anywhere on the Internet past 1991. One small exception is a clip from a film promo for Sneakers labeled on YouTube as an interview but it was really just a brief film promo produced by the filmmakers. River Phoenix released two major Hollywood films during the last two years of his life, Sneakers, released September 2, 1992 and The Thing Called Love, released July 16, 1993.

(click to enlarge)


(click to enlarge)



You would think that it would be easier to find archival footage of Phoenix' interviews during '92 or '93 since those were the early days of the internet and yet when you do a search for his interviews it brings of tons of interviews from the pre-internet days such as 1988 and 1991.

(click to enlarge)

The only results for 1993 are reports about his death even though he died at the end of the year on Halloween. What about interviews for 1993's The Thing Called Love with Samantha Mathis? Even her old interviews easily pop up without digging - and I didn't even put her name on the search below, just River's.

(click to enlarge)

I've also combed through lists of episodes on various sites that log every actor and guest on every episode of a television show and cannot locate any record of my memory.

(click to enlarge)


This memory has remained vivid throughout my life. I am 47 now but River Phoenix outspokenness and activism had a big impact on me during my formative years so I remember his infamous comments on David Letterman very well.

After 2016's "Pizzagate" story broke and transformed into the bigger-picture investigation known as "Pedogate," people started thinking of River Phoenix again since he was notoriously raised by the Children of God cult in Oregon, a cult known for sexually abusing children. People were wondering if he was killed by the cult. 

I have personally wondered for years if he was added to the "expendable" list for sacrifice due to his "mistake" of biting the hand the fed him, i.e. knowingly, or unkowingly, insulting General Electric while he was appearing on their network.

Recent research this year (2017) has linked Phoenix death to Johnny Depp's rise to fame. Perhaps the Powers-that-shoudn't-be gave Johnny the go-ahead after Phoenix' remarks.

SEE:

Chris Cornell 6 Degrees of Separation from River Phoenix
http://themetalden.com/?p=59302

Must Watch! Johnny Depp Exposed as Pedophile Satanist
https://youtu.be/p6D_WHGFztg

If anyone else remembers this interview, or thinks they might have some old VHS tapes that might have evidence of this interview, please post anything you can find or remember to the comments below, or link to any uploads you may have.

Thanks!

13 comments:

  1. I remember the letterman interview. I was a huge stand by me fan and an even bigger sneakers fan. I remember it vividly. He was timid and polite as always and David was as quirky as always while the audience laughed when he mentioned that he was actually ON the company which he insulted. I don't remember it being GE though. That detail slipped my mind or rather i never absorbed it. Kindly - Kristian from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Kristian for your obviously sincere reply. I really appreciate it. It feels great to have some validation! I hope someone can locate a clip of the interview. It would be so interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Its cincere. You know, when I saw the thread on reddit which brought me here, and I read your blog and even now an hour or so later - the memory is even clearer. I even remember river having a very timid body language during this interview. As hardly getting a few words in, in between David's singers. But he did manage to get a few sentences out there. Nothing like his brother Joaquins Interview where Joaquin seems very strange (and in hindsight we know now he was just trolling) - but instead river had a very energetic body language, as appearing to have a message he wanted to bring out meanwhile being on a comedic tonight show.. His energy sure went beyond the stage he was at, was my feeling and is my feeling now recollecting the memory. I've also searched deeply on YouTube trying to find it but cannot. I think I even remember the hairstyle he had and the typical late 80s early 90s quality to the video... Have you heard of the Mandela effect? There are some things I cannot explain, as Dolly from Moonraker never actually having braces, making the scene between her and Jaws make no sense.... I don't know but look into it if you haven't yet. It's possible we remember something that didn't happen... :/ (sorry for not perfect English)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I accidentally replied to your comment below instead of underneath here. Please see two comments below : )

      Delete
  4. Hi Laban, I know you are sincere and your English is great! I am so glad to have made your acquaintance : ) I love your description of the show. It's funny you mention, "energetic body language, as appearing to have a message he wanted to bring out meanwhile being on a comedic tonight show." I've always remembered him as standing up when he mentioned G.E. I don't know if he got out of his chair or it's just a symbolic memory of this energy that you mention. You "nailed it" as we Americans would say : ) Hope you have a wonderful day or evening as the case may be. -- Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I mean Kristian. Also, I forgot to mention that, yes, I have experienced the Mandela Effect. I actually wrote two articles about it:

    http://bethanymagdalene.blogspot.com/2016/06/mandela-effect-bible-as-idol-and-need.html

    The second one is much shorter than the first but they go together:

    http://bethanymagdalene.blogspot.com/2017/03/occult-elite-laying-groundwork-already.html

    Thank you for taking the time to reply!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Elizabeth,

    I watched your video on youtube and I just wanted to take the time to thank you for your efforts in exploring the mysterious circumstances that surround the death of River Phoenix and the lack of information concerning his political views. I too am a long time fan of his, though sadly I cannot claim to have been so while he was still living. Luckily his work in and outside film is still alive though so that people like myself who were of adult age after his passing can still appreciate what a wonderful and special person he was.
    Concerning this interview in question, I find it very curious that there is no record of it to be found on youtube, but I do not think it is without reason. As you alluded to in your vid, it is well documented that River's political views were very left of what one might consider establishment consensus at the time, something which can be seen in several interviews that are available on youtube. As he grew older, it is apparent to me tbag his transition from passive child actor to outspoken critic was a dramatic one, so even though I have not seen the interview myself, your recalling of this interview would be very consistent with the timeline of his public development in my opinion.
    Immediately after seeing your vid, I recalled a piece of information I picked up from somewhere (not sure) concerning interviews that John Lennon did in the 70s with Duck Cavet for his show and how several of his interviews were "scrubbed" in a similar way perhaps as maybe River's were. I remember reading or hearing that he did in total something like 8 or 10 interviews with him, but only 2 or 3 have survived that period. As you probably know, Lennon too was an infamous activist during that espoused pretty radical anti- establishment views, so if it is the case that indeed an effort has been made to erase any trases of his later interviews, it is my opinion that this has something that has been happening to anti- establishment figures since at least the 70's. Maybe something worth consideration...
    Also, having read the theories concerning the Children of God cult being responsible for his death myself, it is of my belief that perhaps this is not the reason for his death, but rather even something more sinister if you can believe it. First though, I have to admit that the children of God group and the power structure surrounding it is not something I'm completely familiar with so I could be speaking wrongly here, but if they are indeed the culprits and their intention was to "shut" River Phoenix up, it would seem that they've done a pretty piss poor job of it because of the incredible amount of documentation there is of it. Also, another actor named Rose McGowan I believe is of similar age to Phoenix and has lived to tell the tale still despite spilling the beans on that cult as River did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which brings me to my present working theory, one that I have been settling on now for some time. Without getting too overly involved in the specifics, I will just say it involves the mass deaths of celebrities I the 90s, all of whom were males and held radical views and/or came from radical families. River Phoenix being one, there was also Kurt Cobain, Brandon Lee and Tupac Shakur all of whom died similarly in various mysterious and seemingly nefarious ways and who were too critics of the system. I was recently justified in this belief I feel, funny enough, by Kat Williams in a recent interview he gave promoting his newest movie "rather figures" in which he spoke of the establishment (not his words) constantly monitoring the public arena for figures that could be seen as "messiahs" in order to remove them from the picture. Again though, it would probably be best not to expand on such views, but if your familiar with COINTELLPRO, the government program that was supposedly done away with in the 70's then you probably have a pretty good sense as to where I'm going with this.
    Well that's all now then. I hope that doesn't sound to crazy, lol, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on it all. Good luck In your search for truth. This world is a crazy place I've found, but it's people who are unrelenting in their journey for a better more open world who make this this place a worth living in.

    Best Regards,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey! i just watched your youtube video. thank you so much for sharing this. someone said their sister had it recorded, did they ever get in contact with you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone on my You Tube channel asked me about this. I have all original broadcasts of Dave’s Late Night and Late Show. There was no such appearance. River was never on Dave’s Show. Perhaps you’re thinking of Harvey Pekar’s GE rant on Late Night a few years before, or River May have appeared on a different talk show. Possibly The Tonight Show after Leno succeeded Johnny?

    All I can tell you is that River Phoenix never guested on Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that interview as well. And the only part I remember is River telling Dave that he was FIVE years old the 1st time he had sex and that his family was in a cult (I don't remember if he said "cult" or something else.) But that has stuck with me for years.
    I grew up in Chattanooga where COG was formed and I never heard of it. The 1st time I remember ever hearing of it was actually just a few days ago. My wife was watching a show about a girl that had escaped the cult.
    Don Giller is wrong. I specifically remember River being on David Letterman. I don't know what to tell you Don, I remember that exchange. I remember Dave's nonchalant demeanor when River said it. You are flat out mistaken.

    ReplyDelete